Starting in middle school, students have the exciting opportunity to begin or continue a life-long musical journey of playing an instrument or singing through our band, orchestra and choir programs.
Learn more about the music programs that are offered in SoWashCo Schools through band, choir and orchestra below.
For students in middle school, band fulfills the required music performance elective in 6th and 7th grades. From there, curricular opportunities continue in 8th Grade, at the high school level and beyond.
It is important to note that Band is a year-long commitment. The rate of student growth is varied and significant growth can take several months.
Starting in sixth grade, students have the opportunity to enroll in choir class as part of their regular school day. Singing in choir is a wonderful way to develop valuable skills such as musicianship, teamwork, persistence and collaboration towards a common goal. By participating in choir, students will become part of a positive and welcoming community of young musicians.
Middle School students have the opportunity to begin or continue playing a string instrument in Orchestra. Orchestra is a curricular class during the school day. In addition, students are welcome to participate in extra-curricular music ensembles before or after school.
- Does my child need to know how to play their instrument to sign up?
- Does it cost money?
- High School Orchestra Directors
- High School Orchestra Registration
- How does my child transport large instruments (cello/bass) to school?
- Middle School Orchestra Directors
- Middle School Orchestra Registration
- Where should I get an instrument?
- What Size Instrument does my Child Need?
- Renting vs. Purchasing