Illness / Absence Policy
- If your child becomes ill at school and needs to go home, the Health Services Staff will contact a parent/guardian. Children must call from the health office and not from their cell phones.
- If staff are unable to reach parents/guardians and determine that the student must go home, the emergency contacts will then be called.
- It is important for parents/guardians to provide an emergency contact that is available during the school day.
- Please update Parent Portal or the current years emergency census form as changes arise
- Your child will not be allowed to leave with any person who is not listed as an emergency contant unless we have your verbal permission to allow an alternate person to pick up your child.
- Your child will not be allowed to leave school without contacting an adult.
Is My Child Okay to Go to School?
- Parent and students frequently have questions about when it is appropriate to stay home from school due to illness. Please consider these guidelines to assist with your decision:
- Child must be fever free <100.00, no vomiting and/or diarrhea within the past 24 hours; unassisted by medication in order to return to school.
- When a child is placed on an antibiotic, they must be on the medication 24 hours before returning to school for most contagious illnesses, an exception is pertussis where they must be on an antibiotic for 5 days before returning to school.
- If your child's health status would place other students/staff at risk of becoming ill (this does not include having a common cold) please keep them home.
It is important to report your child's absence each day your child is absent from school. Please call the school's attendance line and report your child's:
- Nature of why they are absent (ill, appt, out of town etc)
- If your child has symptoms of, or has been diagnosed with, any communicable diseases (influenza, chicken pox, strep throat etc) please convey that information to the health staff.
- Please see the attendance policy regarding excessive illness absences.
If you need assistance due to disability or language barrier, please call 651-430-6655 (TDD 651-430-6246)