You are here
Five East Ridge Speech Team members advance to the National Speech and Debate Association tournament
After two days of competing in one of the country’s most competitive speech and debate districts, East Ridge High School is sending five speech team members to the National Speech and Debate Association tournament taking place this June in Birmingham, AL. This is the largest academic competition in the world!
"The East Ridge coaching staff is thrilled to be sending more students to nationals than we have in previous years,” said Katie Carlson, English teacher at East Ridge. “We are honored to work with future leaders, whether it be advocating for change at home and abroad, or moving audiences to laughter or even tears."
Below are the advancing students and the speech categories in which they will compete:
- Kevin Bi - International Extemporaneous Speaking (District Champion)
- Tre' Edgerton - Program of Oral Interpretation (District Champion)
- Quintin Walker - Humorous Interpretation (District Champion)
- Alex Yang - Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking
- Alicia Zhang - International Extemporaneous Speaking
Other notable performances at the recent regional district competition include:
- Kevin Bi - Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking (Champion)
- Tre' Edgerton – Humor (3rd place)
- Maggie Eckberg – Original Oratory (6th place)
- Erin Foy – Humor (Semifinalist)
- Jane Ahmann – Informative (Semifinalist)
- Tony May and Ruth Erikstrup – Duo (Semifinalists)
- Erin Foy and Branden Palacio – Duo (Semifinalists)
- Cormac Dolezal and Kat Grannis – Duo (Semifinalists)
Additionally, Kevin Bi earned the title of Central Student of the Year for his performance and service to both speech and debate communities. Only one student is recognized out of the 41 schools in the region’s district.
Congratulations to these remarkable students!
Pictured (left to right): Quintin Walker (12), Tre' Edgerton (11), Maggie Eckberg (12), Kevin Bi (12) and Alex Yang (11). Not pictured: Alicia Zhang