You are here
East Ridge and Woodbury High School selected to participate in Hennepin Theatre Trust's Spotlight Education Program
Hennepin Theatre Trust has announced that East Ridge and Woodbury high schools have been selected to participate in the 2016-17 SpotLight Education Program. SpotLight is the Trust’s educational initiative which honors and supports Minnesota high school musical theatre programs and students.
In total, 85 schools will participate including 29 schools from greater Minnesota. Now in its 12th year, Spotlight Education is Trust’s premier education program and supports and honors Minnesota high school students and programs focused on musical theatre.
SpotLight provides educational, performing and creative experiences that help students develop essential skills for success such as collaboration, critical thinking, problem solving and self-expression. Students work with local and national theatre educators and Broadway musical theatre professionals who offer training, critical feedback, on-site school workshops and master classes.
East Ridge High School presented The Little Mermaid and received the following awards through Spotlight for their achievements:
- Outstanding Achievement in Musical Theatre
- Outstanding Overall Production
- Outstanding Overall Performance
- Honorable Mention Ensemble Performance
- Honorable Mention Acting Performance by an Ensemble
- Honorable Mention Vocal Performance by an Ensemble
- Outstanding Overall Technical Team
- Outstanding Technical Crew
- Honorable Mention Student Orchestra
- Honorable Mention A/V Board Operators
- Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role: Kat Grannis as Ariel, Maggie Eckberg as Ursula, Quintin Walker as Sabastian
- Honorable Mention in a Supporting Role : Cali Yee as Flounder, Erin Foy as Scuttle
- Technical Leadership Nomination : Sophie Pfluger, Stage Manager and Alec McCoy, Sound Board Operator
- Technical Leadership Nomination: Gavyn Lulich, Make-up Crew Member
- Evaluator Shout-Outs: Teagan Jones, Tony May, Ethan Williams, Max Schiller, Michael Miller, Cormac Dolezal
Woodbury High School presented The Pajama Game and received the following awards for their achievements:
- Honorable Mention in Overall Performance
- Outstanding Performance in Ensemble Acting
- Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role: Sam Crosby-Schmidt and Annaliese Voss
- Honorable Mention in a Leading Role: William Vouk
- Honorable Mention in a Featured Role: Henry Kueppers
- Shout outs: Akul Seshadri and Sam Luchsinger
The 12th annual Spotlight Showcase, takes place June 12-13 at the historic State Theatre (805 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis). Professionally produced, it honors the hard work and talents of the state’s finest musical theatre students and programs with live performances. Students will rehearse with professional choreographers, musical directors and technicians. Four students will also be recognized for outstanding performance with the Spotlight Education Triple Threat Broadway Experience, presented by Sun Country Airlines, which represents excellence in dancing, singing and acting, as well as community leadership.
The Triple Threat Broadway Experience is an all-expenses paid trip to New York City to meet with industry professionals, participate in workshops and attend Broadway shows.